This is my go-to recipe when I need cake urgently and don’t have the time or energy to bake a full triple layer cake (or wash a sink full of dishes). making Vanilla Mug Cake is beyond easy and you can get super creative with this recipe.
I have named this one Cake in a Mug: Vanilla because I will share my Caramel and Chocolate versions of this very soon so keep your eyes peeled 🙂
How Is a Mug Cake made?
Mug Cakes are so simple that its extremely dangerous to my waistline. You basically mix all the ingredients in your favourite mug, give them a good stir to ensure everything is combined and then zap them in the microwave until ready. Now how long you have to microwave the mug cake really depends on the strength of your microwave. A general guideline is between 50 seconds and 90 seconds, it took me a few trials to learn how long it take in mine and I now have it down to the right second.
Vanilla Mug Cake Ingredients:
Here are the ingredients you need to make a delicious Mug Cake with Vanilla flavour.
- All-Purpose Flour, I like to use a 00 flour as it gives me just the perfect texture and rise
- White & Brown Sugar will give your mug cake a nice flavour blend and a slight caramel taste
- Baking Powder as a rising agent to make sure your cake is nice and fluffy
- Salt enhances the flavour of other ingredients and gives them more depth so I always add a small dash
- Milk to combine it all, if you are lactose intolerant you can replace Milk with Soy or Coconut Milk
- Vegetable Oil will make the cake moist
Toppings for Vanilla Mug Cake
If you want to spice your cake in a mug up a little, try adding some of these ingredients or get creative and add whatever you feel. You never know when you will discover your next amazing baking idea.
- Biscoff Biscuit Crush
- Maltesers (a common theme with me 😀 )
- Dried Berries ( I like strawberries)
- Caramel Chunks
- Sugar Sprinkles
- Anything you wanna add 🙂
Tips & Tricks
This recipe is super easy so I don’t have many tips and tricks to share with you but here are some tips. This cake WILL rise so keep the dough about 1 or 2 cm or 3/4 of an Inch below the edge of the mug. Also watch the roof of your microwave 🙂
Another tip is adding the ingredients starting with the dry ones first, this has no direct effect on the baking but will make it easier to combine and get a smooth batter. Add all the dry stuff, stir, add egg’s milk and oil, stir again. Voila
Cake in a Mug: Vanilla
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mug and give them a quick stir, then add all the wet ingredients and combine until the batter is smooth.
- Microwave between 60 and 90 seconds. Enjoy your vanilla mug cake