Jamaican beef patty’s are not only mouthwatering and tasty, they are also very easy and quick to make. Jamaican Beef patty’s also known as pasties are as the name suggests found in Jamaica and other Caribbean islands. Traditionally they are filled with spiced minced beef but chicken, lamb, seafood and vegetable variations can be found.
Jamaican Patty’s have a distinct yellow golden colour which they get from a combination of turmeric and egg wash. In the late 60s and early 70s, Jamaicans brought the delicious patty recipe to the United States and United Kingdom where they are popular snacks to this day.
How to make Jamaican Beef Patty’s
Jamaican Beef Patty’s are very easy to make in just two simple steps. A) prepare the pie crust and refrigerate it and B) Saute the Onions with the beef and remaining spices. You then fold your patties and bake them for 25 to 30 minutes. Check out the recipe for clear instructions on the preparation and baking process.
Watch the YouTube Recipe instead?
Jamaican Beef Patties
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ Cup Margarine
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp Curry Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2.2 lbs Minced Beef
- ½ Medium Onion
- ½ Medium Red Onion
- 2 Cubes Beef Bouillon
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- ⅓ Cup Bread Crumbs
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, turmeric, curry powder and a pinch of salt. Then add in the margarine and shortening and knead with your hands. This will form a coarse crumbles, now gradually add water and keep kneading until a dough forms. This dough should not be sticky and have a medium firm consistency. Now form in to a ball and refrigerate covered while we prepare the filling.
- Finely dice 1/2 a red and 1/2 a yellow onion and saute in a large sauce pan with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Alternatively you can saute the onions in margarine. Once the onions are translucent add the minced beef to the sauce pan. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. You might need to separate the minced beef as it tends to stick together.Now add the Paprika and Curry powder. Combine two beef bouillons in 1/2 a cup of hot water and add them to the minced beef. Stir well and simmer over medium low heat until reduced and the beef is evenly cooked. Occasionally stir to avoid burning the beef. Set aside to cool.
- Divide your Patty Crust dough in to 10 equal pieces, my OCD usually kicks in here and I weigh them so they are evenly divided. You can go the easier route, roll the dough in to a sausage shape and divide using a knife.Flour your working surface and roll each piece in to a circle approximately 8 - 10 cm or 4 inches in diameter. Add a good amount of filling and fold in half, turnover the lip where the dough connects to the other side and pinch it together with a fork.
- Combine and egg with a few drops of water and blend until smooth, paint each pastie with the egg-wash. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy your Jamaican style beef patty's.