Cheesy Twists are super easy to make and are the perfect snack at parties, movie nights or when you feel like cheese and garlic. This recipe will yield a LOT of cheese sticks so if you want to make less even a half batch will be enough for 8-10 cheesy twists.
Tips & Tricks
- Keep the dough cool so you can handle it easily, due to the butter amount warm dough will be sticky and hard to shape
- You can get creative on the filling, adding things such as onions, sesame seeds or other cheese types definitely works
- You can replace the whole wheat with normal flour 1:1
- You can blend the dough by hand but a stand mixer will definitely make it a lot easier and smoother
Cheesy garlic whole wheat twists
- 6/8 Cup All-purpose flour
- 3 1/3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan
- 2 1/4 Cups Butter
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Salt
- 8.45 Oz Water
- 2 Large Egg Yolk
- 1 tbsp Cider Vinegar
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- In a stand mixer (or by hand) Blend together the flours and salt until well combined, add in the butter and knead for 2-3 minutes. Now add the cider vinegar and salt and gradually add the water. If the dough is too dry you can add another 50ml of water.. Knead until you get a smooth dough ball. Cover and set in the fridge for 20 minutes, we want the dough to be cool so we can handle it better.
- Flour your work surface and roll out the dough, keep dusting the dough and work surface to avoid sticking. You can fold the dough in itself to get a nice rectangle, it should be approximately 40 cm x 70 cm or 15" x 28" wide. Divide the rectangles in to two half's, cover with a membrane and set in the fridge for another 15-20 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the cheddar cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika,, fold together until you have an even blend. Now place one of the two dough rectangles on your work surface and spread the cheese mix evenly and sandwich with the second dough rectangle. Lightly press together with a rolling pin.
- Cut in to small strips approximately 2 cm wide, carefully lift on to a baking tray lined with baking paper and turn in opposite directions to form a twist stick. Repeat with all strips.
- You can paint the cheese twists with egg yolk to brown them on the top, in this case add the sesame after the egg yolk layer.
- Bake at 200 C and airflow for apx 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.